Sunday, December 6, 2009

Bae mi Kros

In my everlasting quest to bring you my faithful readers, my unfiltered experience in Vanuatu, I am starting a couple of categories.
This one, Bae mi Kross is about things that have happened in Vanuatu that pissed me off.
Have you ever had experiences that just make you grind your teeth? Well, I've had a couple here in Vanuatu.

The question --yu blo Africa? is starting to really irritate me. Yu blo Africa means, are you from Africa?
Now, I very happy to answer people's questions and if people ask me, I tell them I am a Nigerian who immigrated to the United States at 12 years of age and we talk about Nigeria and I tell them all about it and we have a jolly good time. However, imagine having to answer this question literally hundreds of times, and I am not exaggerating. The first question when a lot of people talk to me is yu blo Africa? I have talked to over a hundred people in Vanuatu already and have had to answer this question that many times.

Imagine, you're sitting in a bus minding your own business, chilling. Then the man beside you looks at you, you smile at him and he looks away. Then he looks at you again. Again, you smile. Again he looks at you, then he says hello, you say hello, then he asks..yu blo Africa? I wanna yell. I mean, at least let us have a freaking conversation first before you ask me where I am from you know? Hello, how are you doing, nice weather we are having, this bus driver is a horrible driver isn't he? After good will has been established, then you can ask me, yu blo Africa? And I will smile and explain exactly where I am from.

Not everybody I meet does this, but a good number of people do it. It is starting to really irritate me.

No comments:

Post a Comment